Injured in a Big Truck Accident?
Truck Accident Lawyer in Foley, Alabama
Truck accidents in Foley, Alabama can cause serious and often deadly injuries for drivers and passengers of motorcycles, passenger vehicles, and trucks designed for personal use. If you’re involved in a wreck with a semi-truck in Foley, Alabama, you need an experienced and aggressive truck accident lawyer to help you hold the big truck company responsible for your injuries.
Almost 4,000 Died in Truck Accidents in 2016
According to statistical data kept by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 3,986 people died in 2016 from Alabama truck accidents. Out of that, 66% of the deaths were occupants in passenger vehicles. That’s almost 4,000 families who faced unexpected medical expenses, funeral expenses, the loss of their family car, the loss of income, and the loss of their loved ones. There’s certainly no amount of money in the world that makes up for the loss of a loved one. The goal of a truck accident claim is to help families with the unexpected expenses and hardships they now face.
Why Are Truck Accidents So Dangerous?
What makes truck accidents so dangerous? All accidents involving vehicles of any kind have the potential to be dangerous and cause serious injuries or death. Truck accidents are more dangerous because of the size of the truck. A semi with 18 wheels may weigh as much as 80,000 pounds if the trailer is fully loaded. Compare that to the size of a passenger vehicle which weighs in around 4,000 pounds. Because a semi or commercial delivery truck are much heavier than a passenger vehicle, they take longer to stop. The impact is more forceful. This increase in force often causes more damage.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Foley, Alabama
Common causes of truck accidents in Foley are often related to negligence on the part of the driver or even the trucking company they work for. The common causes include:
- It takes more time for a truck to stop. When they’re speeding to meet an unreasonable deadline or because they’re in a hurry, it makes it much harder for the driver to bring it to a stop if someone pulls out in front of them or they enter into unexpected traffic.
- Careless lane change. Truck drivers usually have professional training so that they can pass their driving test to get their CDL. During training, they should be taught how to safely change lanes. Yet, many truck accidents are caused when the driver of the truck makes a careless lane change.
- Improperly loaded trailers. Truck drivers aren’t always the ones responsible for loading and securing their trailers. It’s important that trailers are properly loaded and secured. Otherwise, the contents of the trailer can shift when the driver accelerates, decelerates, or takes a turn. This can cause the trailer to flip or move from its expected course of movement.
- Driver fatigue. There are federal and state laws that regulate how long a truck driver may be behind the wheel. Yet, many drivers are often pushed to continue so that they meet a tight deadline. This fatigue can cause truck drivers to make dangerous and sometimes fatal errors.
- Driving under the influence. Even legally acquired prescriptions can be dangerous. There’s a lower tolerance for driving under the influence for truck drivers because of how dangerous accidents can be.
What Should You Do After a Truck Accident?
If you or someone you love is involved in a truck accident in Foley, the first thing to do is get emergency medical care and call the police. Then, call Andy Citrin Injury Attorneys. Truck accidents are serious. They can also be extremely complicated when it comes to naming the proper defendants. The insurance company, truck driver, and trucking company may not want to accept any responsibility for what happened. Andy Citrin helps truck accident victims and their families get the compensation that they deserve. To schedule your free case review, call us now at 251-888-8888.
Get your free,